[Buddha-l] wiki wiki

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Nov 2 16:11:20 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:

> I guess it goes to show that if you want a good education in
> Buddhism, you're a lot better off in prison than on the Internet.

that works on so many levels.....

> I'm not sure I would take Wikipedia as a reliable measure of the quality
> of much of anything;

of course you are right about that. it was a cheap shot. that's the kind
of guy i am.

> I have hunch there may be a bit more to Western
> Buddhism than what one finds on Wikipedia. Not that I'm planning to find
> out. My curiosity about anything in Buddhism anywhere in the world after
> about the second century is pretty feeble.

I can appreciate that - although for some reason I apply that logic to
western philosophy (I lose almost all interest after Proclus) while
being much more tolerant of more recent trends in India and China.

> Pretty much all of Buddhism
> has been moving pretty precipitously downhill since Nagarjuna. (What
> does Wikipedia say about THAT?)

Actually - I'm pretty sure I read those exact words on Nagarjuna's
wikipedia entry!

Curt