[Buddha-l] Re: selectivity

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at nmsu.edu
Thu May 31 11:45:52 MDT 2007

I quite agree with Richard that far too many Buddhist practitioners have a very
narrow view of the variety of "Buddhisms" actually practiced around the world.
As a Zen teacher, I instruct my personal students to read "The Story of
Buddhism: A Concise Guide to its History & Teachings" by Donald S. Lopez Jr.
After having been directed by other Zen teachers to only read Zen texts, it is
quite a revelation for them to see, for example, what Pure Land devotees
believe.

By the same token, I also find great value in reading the Pali canon and
Vipassana texts, as well as the results of recent scientific research into the
neurophysiology of meditational states, and the cognitive science of positive
psychology (so-called "happiness studies").

Unlike some folks on this list, I find science to be quite helpful in learning
to "see things as they really are." I have no qualms about suffering from less-
than-pure spiritual motivations for wanting to know how the "aggregate" called
matter can give rise to sensations, perceptions and mental formations (and
let's not forget consciousness). I'm really not interested in philosophical
disputations about which came first, the material "chicken" or the
consciousness "egg." But I do have intense interest in knowing what careful,
precise measurement of actual physical entities can reveal about the mechanical
workings of it all. Whether these physical measurements of, for example, brain
states merely correlate with subjective conscious states or cause them is of
less import than knowing the physiological parameteres of the brain states, in
my view, because such knowledge may someday lead to improved techniques for
teaching meditation (and perhaps even devices to aid in learning it).

Regards,

Michael LaTorra

mlatorra at nmsu.edu

Department of English