[Buddha-l] RE: neuroscience: neural plasticity

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Thu May 31 03:05:20 MDT 2007

You are probably referring this difficult to find article:

RJ Davidson et al, "Alterations in brain and immune function produced by
mindfulness meditation."* Psy­cho­somatic Medicine* *65* 2003: 564-570. *h
ttp://www.psychosomatic­medicine.org/cgi/content/full/65/4/564*

If the URL does not work, copy and paste it on to the browser and click.

Piya Tan

On 5/31/07, Bill Kish <wdkish81 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> S. A. Feite:
> >It's a brief publishers review. There was more than one person if
>
> >this is the study I'm thinking of and it was quite groundbreaking
> >for a couple of reasons. One, the EEG signature most often
> >associated with samadhi, high amplitude gamma waves, had not been
> >observed in a lab setting in a long time (since the 50's). It was
> >observed repeatedly in this study. And two, the long term
> >meditators in the study actually had signs of samadhi occurring in
> >the post-meditation state indicating that they were essentially in
> >a continuous state of altered consciousness.
>
> Are you thinking of the work done by Richard Davidson at the
> W. M. Keck Laboratory at the University of Wisconsin?  If so,
> he had a paper published in the November 2004 Proceedings of the
> National Academy of Sciences.  I would guess his source(s) of
> funding would be mentioned in that publication.  Unfortunately,
> Google has not dredged up that particular paper yet, else I would
> pass along the URL.
>
> There is also a short article about Davidson's work in a periodical
> called "Middle Way" put out by the Buddhist Society in London; the
> article is "Meditation Gives the Brain a Change" in the Feb. 2006
> volume.  It does not mention anything about how the research was
> funded, however.
>
> ---------
> Bill Kish

The Minding Centre