[Buddha-l] neuroscience: neural plasticity

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Wed May 30 23:07:22 MDT 2007

Steve,

>> Well that is the point, I have studied compassion and learned to
>> visualise my mother (poor thing, if only she knew what I did to
>> her) undergoing all sorts of hardships, walking barefoot in the
>> snow and other Dickensian visions, going to the hell realms because
>> of things she did for my sake etc. Then we were supposed to
>> meditate on that to develop compassion. Some people would have
>> tears running donw their cheeks. The end result was supposed to be
>> a strong resolution to achieve awakening for the sake of all
>> beings. So I don't know what the monk with the 100 sensors on his
>> head did to end up feeling great joy, but he or me must have been
>> doing something wrong.

>You were performing compassion with reference points. The study we
>are talking of was with people meditating "on" non-referential
>compassion--non-dual compassion. These are remarkably different
>styles of practice.

If it is "non-referential" and "non-dual", any emotion, anything could have done the trick. It basically is a meditation, and even that would be a wrong term, on "non-duality". It rather is contemplation, passive non-referential meditation.

>The effect is one can become, for all intents and purposes,
>relatively free of afflictive emotions and radiate this possibility
>for others.

The effect is that one feels good and this somehow is communicative. Can we agree on that?

Joy