[Buddha-l] neuroscience: neural plasticity

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed May 30 16:58:48 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 16:21, Michael Paris wrote:

> I've never understood what "spiritual" means

Thank heavens I'm not the only one! A few weeks ago I heard an explanation
that helped me get a better handle on how people are now using the word. The
explanation was essentially along the lines of "Spirituality si, religion
no." That is, spirituality is all the good stuff (meditation, loving thy
neighbor--even if he is a Texan--, beating swords into ploughshares etc) and
religion is all the bad stuff (institutions, offices, dogmas, catechisms,
fund-raising drives, bingo, inquisitions, crusades, flying airplanes into
tall buildings in New York, keeping women out of power etc)

> Seems easy to use "spiritual" as a tool of judgment, i.e., spiritual =
> good, or at least better than average, and certainly much better than
> non-spiritual.

I think the term "spiritual" has always been used as a term to express
approval. More than mere approval, it connotes radical superiority over those
things that others may value but that one personally finds distasteful or
threatening. As I understand it, "spirituality" was first used by Christians
to trump "mere philosophy". Hell's bells, ANYBODY can be rational, but it
takes a Mensch, aided by divine grace, to be spiritual.

> So, why not study meditation to learn how it could help people in need?

Careful, Monsieur Paris! Study comes dangerously close to mere knowledge,
which is always trumped by gnosis, the special purview of spirituality.

> Speaking of spiritual materialism, the flip side might well be
> spiritual snobbery, something _all_ religions have in abundance.

As I understand the term "spiritual materialism,"  precisely what it connotes
is worldly lusts masquerading as spirituality. Trumping someone else's
achievements by referring to one's own is worldly and hence essentially
materialistic. Snobbery about one's own path is therefore exactly what
spiritual materialism consists in. But wait a minute. The essence of
spirituality is trumping what one disdains. So I guess spiritual materialism
is the only spiritualism in town.

> Or perhaps I've misunderstand you. If so, apologies in advance.

No need to apologize to people who can't make themselves understood. It's
entirely their fault. Not being able to make oneself understood is, of
course, one of the hallmarks of spirituality.

--
Richard P. Hayes (the P stands for Pneumismatist)
Department of Philosophy