[Buddha-l] Selectivity

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed May 30 11:29:56 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 07:51, Christopher Fynn wrote:

> I suspect some of the 'selectivity' is simply due to fact that most of us
> are only familiar with a few parts of this mass of literature.

Yes, I think that is true. I suspect that what many people do in the beginning
is to sample a few Buddhist texts. If they find nothing to their liking, they
abandon reading Buddhism altogether and move on to Baha'i or Islam or Bikram
Yoga. If they find something they like in the first couple of Buddhist texts
they read, they feel content with that and don't explore much further. After
all, there is not much point in reading Pure Land sutras if one is quite
content with the Digha-nikaya, and if one finds the Pure Land teachings
inspiring there is not much point in reading the Pali canon. Indeed, one
could even argue that there is a danger in becoming distracted if one reads
too widely.

As an academic I am somewhat taken aback by Buddhists who know nothing at all
about Buddhism except what their roshi has selected for them. They seem like
baby birds feasting on regurgitated worms. As a practitioner, however, I am
equally taken aback by academics who seem to have become information junkies,
so addicted to learning something slightly new that they apparently fail to
derive the full value of anything they land upon for a few fleeting moments.
Most of all, I am appalled at myself for being such a poorly read academic
and such an unaccomplished practitioner.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy