[Buddha-l] Back to the core values? -- and origins

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue May 29 09:58:25 MDT 2007

In a message dated 5/29/2007 8:20:00 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
curt at cola.iges.org writes:

As far  as the earliest known texts are concerned, isn't it true that
there are  Mahayana texts that are just as early as the earliest Pali
texts? Here I  am speaking of actual physical texts, ie, manuscripts.
This would suggest  that there IS a possible parallel to the Gospel of
Thomas.
==============
I think some of the scholars on this list could answer this better than I
could. The question is whether any basic contradictions are found in what are
considered the earliest known texts.

>>Another thing to consider is that when all the witnesses agree,  this
doesn't necessarily mean they are telling the truth. It might mean they
have cooked up the story among themselves. Consistency can be explained
in more than one way. And even if the consistency is genuine, then it
implies a lack of imagination as much as anything else - or, more
seriously, a vigilant hostility to independent thinking.<<

If a group of senior monks agreed on what the Buddha said, imagination and
independent thinking were not a factor.

Jack