[Buddha-l] Back to the core values? -- and origins

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue May 29 06:59:44 MDT 2007

In a message dated 5/28/2007 12:14:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
ioniccentre at hol.gr writes:

>I  was suggesting that what the sutras say may or may not be
>identical to  the original teachings of the Buddha, the founder (as
>the four gospels  may or may not be identical to the teachings of the
>founder). Are the  Buddhist sutras more historically accurate than
>the Christian  gospels?

===
I think they are more accurate. One reason is found in the shear volume of
the Buddha's teachings that we have available to us. There are relatively few
actual teachings of Christ found in the Bible. In the Pali Canon, hundreds of
teachings agree with one another on the main issues. There is no Gospel of
St.  Thomas that disagrees with the other teachings. Another reason is the
discipline  of the oral tradition. There is not an emphasis to stick to the exact
teachings  of Christ in the Christian religion as is found in Buddhism. That
is, the books  of the Bible do have some direct teachings of Christ but have
lots of teachings  that were inspired by Christ but not direct teachings of His.
(I don't mean to  imply anything negative about Christianity here.)

Jack