[Buddha-l] Back to the core values?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon May 28 07:35:32 MDT 2007

If one's interest is merely intellectual - simply wishing to know what
it was that the Buddha taught just to know that - then this doesn't
automatically imply treating Buddhism as a revealed religion. But if
one, as Batchelor does, adopts the approach that Buddhism has
degenerated into superstition as people have strayed from the Buddha's
original teachings - then this is certainly treating Buddhism as a
revealed religion.

Bob Zeuschner wrote:

> Perhaps you are suggesting that the "original teachings" must be
> inerrant?
> I believe it is an entirely different issue to ask "is the founder
> completely correct in every statement that the founder made?"

Actually, it is Batchelor who suggests the inerancy of the Buddha's
original teachings - or at least carefully selected bits and pieces of
that teaching that Batchelor claims to be able to distinguish from stuff
like karma and rebirth, which he wishes to jettison.

- Curt