[Buddha-l] Back to the core values?

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Sun May 27 12:56:14 MDT 2007

If it were true that contemporary fundamentalists really wanted to
return to the core values of their founder, I suspect that we wouldn't
have all the political nonsense that Americans are enjoying now.

The Christianity of the Christian "fundamentalists" does not much
resemble the numerous beliefs and practices of the early centuries of
Christianity.

However, when Christians say "what would Jesus do?" they are asking what
their idealized vision of their founder would do (seen through 21st
century eyes and expectations).
I think Buddhists do the same when they want to "de-evolve" back to the
teachings of the founder. I certainly would like to go back to what I
imagine early Buddhism was like ... and my image is probably an
erroneous image.
I guess what I want is to go back to how early Buddhism SHOULD have been
... in my eyes.
Bob