[Buddha-l] Re: Problems with karma (jkirk)

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 21:16:23 MDT 2007

Hello Dhammananda and Joanna and all,
Dhammananda replied with the source I was mentioning with more
explicit information. This happens at an opportune moment as I
received the SN today to check it out. I have two questions.
Dhammananda wrote in part:
The eight causes of feeling then given are:
1. Originating from bile (pittasamu.t.thaana)
2. Originating from phlegm (semhasamu.t.thaana)
3. Originating from wind (vaatasamu.t.thaana)
4. Originating from an imbalance [of the three] (sannipaatikaana)
5. Arising from a change of climate (utupari.naamaja)
6. Arising from careless behaviour (visamaparihaaraja)
7. Caused by assault (opakkamika)
8. Consisting in the ripening of kamma (kammavipaaka)
Also, the Kathaavatthu offers a more formal refutation of
pubbekatahetuvaada (Kvu. 545-6; _Points of Controversy_ 314-5).
******my questions follow*********
Thanks for the Kvu citation as well. My questions are whether these
fuller items (this more explicitly detailed list) is from the Cmy?
Is sannipaatikaana there explained as imbalance of the three
preceding items (it is interpreted by some to mean an inbalance
of the humours). And is the visama (I have seen it glossed as
either the stress of circumstance or else heedlessness (as in
your rendering, basically) understanding also from the Cmy?
Not that this is definitive in any way, but I notice that visama
in PTS Pali-Eng. Dict. does not have the sense of inattentiveness,
but sticks with other senses relating back to the "uneven"
idea. Is there anything in the SN text to differentiate which is
the more/most appropriate among these? Or is the Cmy definite
and decided?
All comments invited. Thank you.
Mitchell

In memoriam Robert Solomon:
http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/books/TheInnerPalace/TIP_RCS.html
For information on psychotherapy with links of interest:
http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/mentalhealth.html
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa

____________________________________________________________________________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC