[Buddha-l] Shamatha book--clarification

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri May 25 19:17:09 MDT 2007

Obviously, you didn't, Alex.
But then, England has retained a lot more of its old culture than the US
has, where people agonize about all this a lot more and trouble themselves
unduly about identity. Last I saw Kathmandu, in 1987, it had begun to get
globalized. On earlier visits there, it was continuing on its old ways. I
never made it to Kham. In the US for the past 30-40 years, what I knew as
our "culture" had completely vanished. People born since 40 years ago,
except for a few remote locations around the country, don't have an idea of
a culture, so they try to manufacture one. It's now happening in France,
Portugal and Spain too. Old villages left to rot, until some foreigners turn
up and fix up houses and build golf courses.
Joanna