[Buddha-l] Neurophysiology (was: Different criticisms...)

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 19:38:47 MDT 2007

I haven't read it yet and there are too many other books in my
Amazon wish lists to purchase it anytime soon. The public library
has a half-dozen copies on order, and my request is #2 in the
queue.

I did hear and interview with Sharon Begley on the local public
radio station and was most impressed. That's what indirectly led
me to Schwartz's book.

_Train Your Brain_ is on the shelves at the local Borders, so
might be around where you live as well. You can check Borders'
inventory online
<www.borderstores.com>

(And get a coupon online through <www.visitborders.com>)

Anyway, Schwartz's book didn't exactly offer how-tos but did
discuss his four steps for treating OCD: Re-Label, Re-Attribute,
Re-Focus, and Re-Value. It's nothing at all like practicing
vipassana (AFAIK) but is an application of persistent mindfulness
in very trying circumstances.

Mostly, however, it's a very extensive discussion on
neuroplasticity and the quantum basis of directed attention. Good
reading, mostly.

I'm still looking into applying "mindfulness" to depression, but
the OCD method does have some bearing.

Best,

Michael

--- jkirk <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> What did you think of _Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How
> a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform
Ourselves_? Does it offer any how-tos?