[Buddha-l] RE: Article of possible interest--correction

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Wed May 23 02:47:07 MDT 2007

Joy,

>  In fact, what made something unorthodox in the Catholic tradition
>was a direct experience of God, without the intermediairy of Christ
>and outside the traditional means that the church offered. As long
>as one respects that rule, one has the right to become as mad as a
>hatter.

This rather extreme formulation really applies to the situation from
the 17th century (Quietists etc.) and is in part a reaction to the
Protestant attack.

>  >We have to remember that belief in multiple lives was common (if not
>>normative) among intellectuals at the time of the rise of
>>Christianity. I suspect that it was not unusual among early
>>Christians, but a considerable effort was made to prohibit the idea
>>at a later date.
>
>Normative, I don't know, but it was an idea that circled although it
>was not a fundamental idea without which a religious or
>philosophical system would fall and lose its raison d'être.

I was thinking of the period around the third century when
Neoplatonism was very much the dominant tradition. Were there any
Neoplatonists who didn't believe in reincarnation ?

>The Cathars seemed to have believed in reincarnation as well.

I have heard that, but never seen any definite proof.

>  >I don't know that I believe in the 'subconscious' but it is clear
>>that a process of this sort can occur. Indeed, that is obvious from
>>dreams. But I would think of the meditative process as cleansing the
>>mind from this kind of distorting tendency.
>
>It all depends on what one understands by meditation... If it is to
>feed the mind with ideas, beliefs and images, I am not so sure

It almost certainly depends on how instruction is given.

>I am pretty distrustful of correct memories of childhood. I am not
>sure correct memories exist. How does one correctly revive something
>that is gone?

There is a description of how to do this in Achaan Brahm's latest book :-)

Lance