[Buddha-l] RE: Article of possible interest--correction

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed May 23 03:00:38 MDT 2007

L.S. Cousins schreef:
> Erik,
>
>> Good point, Lance, it would be nice if we could divide our life into
>> semiotic compartments and hop from one to another as we please. We
>> live however in a world without semiotic walls which is ruled by
>> science and common sense. How long would a Buddhism last that is
>> contra science and common sense? Do people who hold on to such a
>> Buddhism save the dharma or undermine it?
>
> Personally, I took up Buddhism in the first place because I found the
> teachings on kamma and rebirth attractive.
Well I guess that is good reason as any, I was attracted by the tankas
and deities. But why not go on and develop your understanding?

> What I do find contrary to common-sense is any attempt to reduce the
> mind to the body. So for me these teachings are not at all
> problematic. I don't se such issues as within the purview of science.
I agree, mind is just as important, in fact without a mind we wouldn't
be aware of our body and the way we conceive our body makes it the way
it is. Science is not the ultimate truth, I agree. It consists of models
or maps of the world, complete with scale, legenda and all. But science
makes us live the way we do. If you're ill science will make you better
or tell you  how many days you have to live. It may not be right
sometimes, but in 90% of the cases it is. I think we have to draw
Buddhism into or daily world and modify it untill we don't have to push
a button each time we hear a Buddhist teaching. It has to become normal,
as it used to be. Otherwise I fear that Buddhism will go the way of all
myths and that would be the loss of the many skills and knowledge in the
Buddhist tradition.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950