[Buddha-l] RE: Problems with karma

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Tue May 22 15:03:36 MDT 2007

curt wrote:
> Bob Zeuschner wrote:
>> I teach karma as an important part of early Buddhism, but I personally
>> do not consider it essential to Buddhist philosophy or Buddhist ethics.
>> It just seems to be wishful pre-scientific thinking.
>>
> Out of curiosity, approximately when (and perhaps where), in your
> opinion, does the transition from "pre-scientific" to "scientific"
> thinking occur?

Well, it is pretty clear to me that the transition process is still
going on, with many people in the world accepting religious authority
(scripture, lamas) as evidence.
I would include our current president of the US as belonging to the
pre-scientific mind-set.

However, there are a cluster of traits which distinguish scientific
explanations from religious claims (like karma and rebirth).
Generally in science, this cluster of traits typical of a best
explanation would include:
Testability (predictability, falsifiablility), simplicity, fruitfulness,
conservatism.
If a theory helps to predict future events, that is a powerful tool.
If a theory coheres well with most of the other things we think we know
about the world, that lends support.
If a theory is simpler than its rivals, demands fewer assumptions or
auxilary hypotheses, then this is a virtue.
If a theory leads to new insights or discoveries, that is a point in its
favor.

The reason karma is such a popular explanation is that no possible
outcome is ruled out; no possible observation could ever be counted
against the claim.
But, this is precisely the problem. An explanation/theory which is
compatible with any outcome whatsoever, explains nothing.
It makes no predictions such that, if such-and-such were observed, the
theory would be considered false.
This is not a strength. This makes karma unfalsifiable, not empirical,
and therefore not explaining anything in the world.

Bob