[Buddha-l] Doxastic minimalism (was: flat earth?)

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sat May 19 07:50:41 MDT 2007

Jim Peavler

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

On May 17, 2007, at 12:36 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:

> and I'll bet even Doc Peavler as a
> fifth)

I thought someone mentioned my name in connection with a fifth. Oh, I
see it has to do with non-religious buddhism.

Yes, count me in. I know from personal experience the value of
attempting to live one's life following the four noble truths as best
one can. I would add, for myself, the importance of meditation. I
don't have to believe anything to appreciate that much. I also like
it that I am apparently free to try to think scientifically or
pragmatically to the best of my ability without the danger of pissing
off some supernatural being.

That, in a nutshell, pretty much describes my "religion".  I like to
read Buddhist texts and have found many of the things I have read to
be very helpful to my practice. I didn't know they were supposed to
be "true".   I get my truth from Fox News (fair and balanced).