[Buddha-l] Doxastic minimalism (was: flat earth?)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu May 17 12:36:14 MDT 2007

I wrote about Vicente Gonzlaes's claim that many people are nowadays trying to
find a Buddhism without Buddhism:

> Many? I can't think of even one, with the possible exception of Toni
> Packer.

In response, Vicente Gonzalez cited an article signed by our very own Erik
Hoogcarspel:

> http://www.thinkbuddha.org/article/3/buddhism-without-buddhism
>
> "Buddhism Without Buddhism: a resolutely irreligious Buddhism; a
> Buddhism that is rooted in human meanings rather than in fantasies of
> the sacred; a Buddhism that is pervaded by a thoroughgoing
> this-wordliness: it is, perhaps, an impossible thing to hope for. But
> at the same time, I find the idea extraordinarily attractive, it has
> become a touch-stone for how I think about Buddhism. But with a
> question mark at the end, just for good measure
"

I am inclined to agree with Erik on this. So that makes two of us. And Erik
and I both admire Stephen Batchelor, so Stephen makes three. And I suppose
Joanna Kirkpatrick may be with us, since she also claims to like Stephen
Batchelor. So if George Gamow was right when he wrote that some primitive
cultures had words only for four numbers ("one", "two", "three", and "many"),
then I guess there really are many Buddhists who like the idea of a
non-sacred (or at least not especially sacred) and this-worldly approach to
Buddhism. (I can be excused; I had one grandfather who was a Unitarian,
another who was a Freemason, one grandmother who was a Universalist, another
grandmother who was a Christian Scientist, a father who was a staunch atheist
and a mother who called herself a small-p protestant but refused to get more
specific and never went to any church during my entire childhood. Sacredness
was just not part of my childhood, and I have never felt a need to acquire it
as an adult. I suspect I am not unique in this respect, probably not even
unique among Buddhists.)

I don't know how many readers of buddha-l are right-wing enough to read
Newsweek magazine, but some of you may have seen this week's issue. There is
an interesting article on the Pope's latest book, "Jesus of Nazareth". In that
article there was a quote (on page 45) by N.T. Wright, the Anglican Bishop of
Durham, speaking on the historicity of some of the events narrated in the
Bible.

\begin{quote}
It's not just about ideas, or people's imaginations. If they didn't happen,
you might still have interesting ideas, but it wouldn't be Christianity at
the end of the day.
\end{quote}

That quotation by Bishop Wright (whom I have met and spoken with briefly)
helped me see an important way in which Buddhism differs from Christianity
(or at least how my Buddhism differs from his Christianity).

For many (perhaps most Christians) the Biblical narratives, especially those
concerning the crucifixion and resurrection, are of vital importance; if they
were fictitious stories serving as vehicles for some great ideas, something
indispensable would be missing. I cannot think of any narrative in Buddhism
that would be indispensable in quite the same way. Indeed, I'd guess that
many (perhaps most) Buddhists would feel that the ideas, and the practices
that help those ideas be actualized, are indispensable, and that narratives
are valuable only insofar as they serve to illustrate those ideas. Fiction
may in fact be a much better vehicle than historically accurate narrative
would be, so most Buddhists would not be bothered in the least to find out
that every narrative in every Buddhist text was a complete fiction. I may be
wrong about this, and I'm sure some of you will let me know if I am. I
suspect I am not wrong, given that Buddhism in India quickly borrowed heavily
from the already existing storehouse of Indian story literature and made
those stories say something about Dharma as understood by Buddhists. The
Jataka stories are a good example of that, as is the oft-told story of the
blind men and the elephant.

What I say about narrative can also be said about some of the specific
doctrines of traditional Buddhism. For many (but perhaps NOT most) of us, the
doctrine of rebirth is quite dispensable. In other words, we have no problem
at all understanding the four noble truths and following the eightfold path
and observing all the precepts without ever thinking in terms of rebirth. Few
people that I know of reject the doctrine of rebirth as utterly preposterous.
Those of us who practice Buddhism without giving it much thought are, like
Stephen Batchelor, simply agnostic on the matter. We regard the rebirth story
as one that cannot ever be tested and therefore a story the truth of which
can never be known. Those of us who have been contaminated by the thinking of
such Pragmatists as Quine, Rorty and Putnam might even say "there is no truth
to the matter." That is, the story is a story and has whatever function it
has quite independently of any considerations of its being true or false.

While rebirth (and perhaps other metaphysical narratives) may be dispensable
to many of us, my guess is that none of the four noble truths is dispensable.
We all, I am assuming, believe that distress exists, that it has causes, that
its causes can be eliminated (or at least palpably reduced) with the result
of a palpable reduction of distress, and that there are reliable ways of
reducing the causes of distress. And I also assume that all of us who call
ourselves Buddhists see observance of the precepts as a core component of the
way of reducing the causes of distress. What more than what I have said here
is indispensable to the successful practice of Buddhism? To "many" (that is,
about four--Erik, Stephen, Joanna and me, and I'll bet even Doc Peavler as a
fifth) of us, nothing more is needed. Everything else is bells and whistles,
or (to use the more traditional Buddhist and Daoist phrase) feet added to the
snake.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy