[Buddha-l] Re: flat earth?

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu May 17 06:17:48 MDT 2007

>>In a Sorry to say, but I'm another one of those people who really,  really
dislike
Batchelor.  He should go off and start his own religion  instead of
bowdlerizing Buddhism.  I personally find his approach  totally uninspiring
and  not a tad destructive of spirituality. But as  RH says, leave him to
those who find his work of interest.<<

Sounds to me like the Buddhism that the Buddha intended not a new  religion.

It is always surprising to me that people who deride an interpretation  of
religion say they want to return to the "true" Buddhism,  Christianity or
whatever, but don't try to go back to what the founder  intended. They pick a much
later offshoot as  their touchstone.  Batchelor whether you agree with him or
not uses the Pali Canon as the  basis for his interpretations. I find these
interpretations plausible and more  importantly, very useful.

I have been trying to find what Batchelor actually said about flat earth.
Did he say that the Buddha believed the earth is flat or did he bring in what
the scientific community at that time believed?

Jack