[Buddha-l] Re: flat earth?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed May 16 14:01:01 MDT 2007

Curt obsesses:

> The book has been in print for
> over 10 years and is quite popular and it has propelled Batchelor into
> something of a "leader" of a "movement" (like all good "movements" they
> are now apparently changing their name from "Agnostic" Buddhism to
> "Secular" Buddhism). In all this time, when one supposes that Batchelor
> the scholar has been digging ever deeper into this matter, it has never
> occurred to him to learn even a little bit about the actual history of
> science (as opposed to the Readers Digest version).

Again, I would suggest that if you are sincerely interested in seeing
this error corrected, you write to Stephen Batchelor. There is really no
point at all in continuing the discussion here. You have stated your
point of view, and we all know where you stand. Now go take the matter
up with Batchelor. I'm fairly confident he would be grateful to learn
what he needs to know to correct his mistake. He may even drop
everything else he is doing to rush a corrected second edition of
"Buddhism Without Beliefs" into print, lest the sort of people who would
not believe anything in the Bible if there were even one incorrect
proposition in it reject the entirety of agnostic Buddhism because of a
piddling error in a statement about the relationship of science and
dogmatic religion.

--
Richard