[Buddha-l] Re: flat earth?

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Wed May 16 12:01:35 MDT 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 11:10 AM, curt wrote:

> Which begs the question of what he based his assertion on in the
> first place.

I am sure you meant to say "raises the question" or something.
"Begging the question" is a logical fallacy, (petitio principii), in
which the statement to be proved is assumed in one or more of the
premises. Kind of a classic is: "Of course the Bible is true; it is
God's word!"

Modern journalists seem to have robbed the phrase of any meaning by
using it, as you did here. Therefore, I do not have to accept your
idea that the world is round because you are a person to uses logical
fallacies.

Sorry.

Jim