[Buddha-l] flat earth?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed May 16 05:58:55 MDT 2007

Bob Zeuschner wrote:
> Hi Curt --
> You are asserting that the Church officials in the middle ages knew
> that the earth was a sphere, correct?
> If so, can you produce anything written in that era to support the claim?
>
> I'm fairly familiar with the major theologians of the period
> (including Aquinas), and I'm not able to recall anywhere that the
> claim that the earth is s sphere is made.

Hermannus Contactus (Hermann of Reichenau) was an 11th century Christian
scholar (he was beatified in 1863). He built astrolabes and wrote
instructions on their construction. Supposedly he is credited with
calculating the circumference of the earth, but I haven't been able to
verify that for sure. He lived during a time when Europeans were
starting to (re)learn some basic science from the Muslim world, and
Hermann's knowledge of astrolabes must have come from (directly or
indirectly) Arabic language sources. It was Muslim scientists, by the
way, who provided the (incorrect) calculations of the earth's
circumference on which Columbus based his expedition. Columbus did have
a novel theory about the earth - not that it was spherical, which
everyone knew, but that it was significantly smaller than generally
believed. It turns out that everyone not only knew the earth was round,
but they knew roughly how big it was. Their measurements were very
unreliable, and so estimates of the earth's circumference varied a great
deal. The calculation that inspired Columbus so grossly underestimate
the circumference of the earth that it put Japan right about where
"America" turned out to be (actually he thought it was EVEN closer than
that!) The irony is that Columbus was wrong and "conventional wisdom"
was right!

The case of Thomas Aquinas, however, appears to be rather clear cut:
"Sciences are distinguished by the different methods they use. For the
astronomer and the physicist both may prove the same conclusion - that
the earth, for instance, is round: the astronomer proves it by means of
mathematics, but the physicist proves it by the nature of matter." (
 From "Summa Theologica":
http://www.ccel.org/a/aquinas/summa/FP/FP001.html#FPQ1A1THEP1 ) The
matter-of-factness of Aquinas' statement is rather telling.

Dante's teacher, Brunneto Latino, also wrote concerning the roundness of
the Earth (see: http://www.the-orb.net/non_spec/missteps/ch7.html ).
> The way I recall it is that the Church demanded that everyone accept
> the claim that the earth was the center of the universe, and
> absolutely denied that the earth moved through space.

Yes, this is definitely the case - at least it was so when Galileo was
around.