[Buddha-l] flat earth?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue May 15 18:44:07 MDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007 17:05:53 -0400
  curt <curt at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> Batchelor's contention is clearly that all "religions"
>have always taught people until the advent of modern
>science that the earth is literally physically flat. My
>only question is whether there is no evidence for this
>ridiculous claim or only very little.

Whenever a claim written by an intelligent author strikes
you as ridiculous, try reading it with a little more
charity. Batchelor rarely writes anything carelessly and
without a good basis in research. If one reads his
statement in context and with an ounce of charity, rather
than literally and out of context, it pretty clearly means
that no religious system before modern science was in a
position to know very much at all about the geography of
the planet earth or the place of the planet in the solar
system. There may be little evidence that ancient
religions all taught that the world is as flat as parts of
the state of Kansas, but neither is there evidence that
ancient religions taught that the planet earth is as
geographers and geologists now portray it.

I know it means a great deal to you to mock Stephen
Batchelor, but you will have to work a bit harder to find
a mockery that sticks.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy