[Buddha-l] Different criticisms for different folks (was: a seemingly endless thread on veganism)

David S vipassana8123 at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 12:23:48 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

  > If it were to turn out that it really
>IS impossible to care for outsiders, foreigners, insects and aliens from
>other galaxies who land in Roswell as a mother cares for her only child, then
>the implications for Buddhist practices aimed at cultivating Great Compassion
>would be rather dire. And this might lead some Buddhists to reject the
>findings of science as vehemently as some Christians have rejected the
>findings of textual and historical criticism.

I think it has more to do with national identity, culture, and nationalism.  I think we
  could care for others and many of us do, from other countries and cultures.

  You are right and my wife and I noticed it right away;  the events at VT were tragic, but
  it is a daily event in Iraq.  The tsunami that struck Indonesia and SE Asia was tragic, but
  in terms of death tolls, is about a weekly or monthly event in sub-Saharan Africa with
  famine, warfare, and disease.

  Roswell is in New Mexico.
  Richard is in New Mexico.

  That alien ship that crashed may have had a female who gave birth, in 1947.

  Richard, when were you born?

  [kidding, kidding, just kidding.]

  David S.