[Buddha-l] The words of the Buddha

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at health.usf.edu
Mon May 14 14:37:26 MDT 2007

>>Shen Shi'an wrote

>Hmmm... If you think of it carefully, rebirth is the only "theory" of
>the "origin" and dynamics of life (and death) that has some proof (if it
>counts as proof to you). You can research on Dr. Ian Stevenson's (still
>at Virginia University I think) work on this. He has done extensive
>research into the subject for more than 20 years - with startling
>evidence from many real-life cases.

I have thought about it, and carefully too, and I find nothing in the "theory" of rebirth to account for the "origins" of life, etc, as you claim above. In addition, I think the label "theory" is, at best, inappropriate since there is no way to test (prove or disprove) such a theory. Wait, I take that back, aside from anecdotal evidence found in late-night T.V. shows, the evidence clearly indicates the theory is false, i.e. dead people stay dead, they do not come back.  There is as much proof for rebirth as there is for the concept of "soul" and heaven/hell, etc. I think it's a different version of the same fantasy, and frankly, if it comes to having to accept some fantastical description of life/death, it might be more palatable for me to stick to my own cultural (Christian) upbringing. After all, one gets used to all the fairy tales since early childhood, and thus they are well-known and comfortable.

>Rebirth also explains "unanswered"
>issues like how children can be so different from their parents (if they
>created them) and how children are born unequal (if there is a fair
>creator). There must be a cause, and in science (and spirituality),
>absolutely nothing is random.

Rather than resort to the use of rebirth, genetic variations, changes in gestational environment, and even changes in post-term enviroment can all be used to explain such differences. Also, by the way, plenty in science is "random", if you consider gene associations and gene expression, even within siblings.

>Rebirth is of course tied with the dynamics of karma - which is somewhat
>natural causality on a moral plane. The funny thing is, most folks do
>believe in karma to some extent - because if not, surely, the world
>would be in moral chaos. We might think we can easily break all the
>precepts (and thus, human law) and all get away with it. Most of us
>refrain because we are wary of the consequences. Even if human law does
>not nab us, moral laws might - eg. we might be racked with guilt and
>fear... that's "bad karma" bearing fruit.

If by karma you mean causality, then of course most people (including myself) believe in karma (thus defined). In other words, I'll be nice to you so you be nice to me; I won't hit you so you won't hit me, I won't run the red light so I don't get smashed to pieces, etc. The problem is that is you take "rebirth" away, then the threat of karma ripening in another life become meaningless (much like heaven/hell, btw). And so, the world IS in the moral chaos that it is and has probably been since people started worrying about "moral chaos" and I'm pretty sure that you can break all the precepts (Buddhist/Christian/Jewish/etc) and, if you are lucky, you will be able to get away with it (in fact, CNN and local news channels are filled with reports of people breaking precepts with only minor retributions; moral pangs aside and moral pangs do not seem to be greatly motivating anymore).

In short, rather than calling rebirth a "theory", a would call it a "fiction" and lump it with all the other religious fictions concerning moral behavior and retribution. If you find some comfort in any of them (to bring in the pragmatist outlook of Dr. Hayes), then go ahead and enjoy. However, if, like me, you do not find them useful, then it would be better to do away with all of them and find some other source for grounding ethical behavior.

Best regards,

Pedro L. Vera