[Buddha-l] The words of the Buddha

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Sun May 13 23:49:11 MDT 2007

It seems to me that if I accept something as true simply because the
Buddha is supposed to have said it, then I have faith in the Buddhist
religion.

[DPD Web] Shen Shi'an wrote:
> Unacademically but spiritually speaking, Buddhists are supposed to
> believe the Buddha taught that truth should be accepted wherever it is
> found.

On the other hand, if I accept the claim only after having empirically
tested it and found it correct (Kalamas), then am I a philosopher?
In this case I do not have faith in the Buddha's words simply because
the Buddha said so.

It is for this reason that I am not a Buddhist. I do not have blind
faith ... in fact I can't abide blind faith.
I think of myself as a Buddhologist.

Bob
Dept. of Philosophy