[Buddha-l] Victimized Vegans?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun May 13 16:48:22 MDT 2007

Hi Joy,

We seem to be in some agreement about Buddhism's inseparability from mercantilism. Of course, that represents major problems of all sorts, for Buddhist history, the current status of Buddhism, and for those of us who see the problems inherent in this symbiosis. It's interesting that almost no one seems to be paying any attention to this, much less offering any serious analysis or diagnosis, especially given the generally anti-capitalist leanings of many Western Buddhists (a sign of fantasy-land enchantment that obscures vision, i.e., parikalpita). It quickly gets very complicated, for instance, a Western tendency to conflate Buddhist monasticism with Catholic notions of vows of poverty, etc.
  >In today's world to do otherwise would be like spitting into the wind.

  Nothing wrong with spitting in the wind

Just let me know when you plan to do it, and I'll make sure to stand far upwind. (Don't forget to bring a towel)

Dan Lusthaus