[Buddha-l] Victimized vegans?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat May 12 13:46:15 MDT 2007

David:

I just saw the CNN video and the baby was really starved.  There was no
vegan

diet;  there was no diet at all.

JK: this sort of tragedy has also happened with a few Christian Scientists,
who allowed a child to perish because they wouldn’t allow medical treatment.
As I recall—correct me if erroneous—in

one such case the child was removed from parental custody and sent to a
hospital for treatment. The parents were arrested, I forget the charges.
Further back in time such parents weren’t interfered with (on the dubious
basis of freedom of religion) and a child died.

This behavior is probably a form of psychosis.

…There is no escaping some killing.  Even if breatharian "diet" worked,
there would still be

the killing of microorganisms in the air everytime you breathe.

Solution?  Middle way, go vegetarian to the level you are comfortable with,
such as partial

veggie, veggie plus fish, lacto-ovo, etc.  And then don't condemn the
meat-eaters!  They

hate that as anyone would not liked to be called a heretic.  Culture and
tradition are not

easy to just give up, even for otherwise very intelligent people.

David S.

I agree with your pragmatic viewpoint about all this. Middle-way should be
middle-way all along the way.

As one Upanishad tells us (but I can never remember the exact citation):

“The entire cosmos consists of eating and being eaten.”

Angela Sumegi sent me the citation a few yrs ago but dang if it hasn’t
disappeared on my computer (probably due to buying a new one and losing
stuff in the process.)

Joanna

   _____

HYPERLINK
"http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48246/*http:/autos.yahoo.com/green_center/;_ylc=
X3oDMTE5cDF2bXZzBF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDZ3JlZW4tY2VudGVy"Vis
it the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7:34 PM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.