[Buddha-l] Victimized vegans?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sat May 12 09:18:56 MDT 2007

Jim Peavler schreef:

> On May 11, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:
>

>> So is the Buddhist jihad on or off? I'm eager to become as indignant as
>> possible about something or other, but I want to make sure not to
>> waste a
>> good snit of indignation on a bad cause. (In other words, I don't want
>> Georgia to become for Buddhist jihadis what Iraq has become for
>> neo-conservative Republicans.)
>
> I have been giving your jihad idea a lot of thought, and I think, that
> for now at least, I will opt out.
>
> First, careful study of the jihad ideal, as practiced in Iraq, seems
> to have some definite downside. First of all, apparently, jihad, like
> charity, begins at home. One seems to be required to begin by blowing
> up those closest to home: family, friends (if any), fellow believers
> (albeit there seems to be some detailed differences not readily
> apparent to outsiders).
But since we Buddhists are all mental we could start with blowing some
minds.

> Next, it would seem that the motivation, at least for a man of my age,
> is not as appealing as it might have been thirty or so years ago. I
> mean, I don't really have any idea what I would do with 72 virgins, or
> 150 virgins, or however many virgins successful jehadian activity is
> awarded. And unless Buddhist virgins are qualitatively different from
> Islamic ones, I don't know but what even one might be more that I
> would want to deal with.
We Buddhists call them dakini's and they're a few levels higher then the
quite common huri's

> So unless we can form a jihad study group, or a jihad congress, to
> define a tenable business plan for the jihad, with carefully specified
> costs and benefits of a Buddhist jihad, I think I will just sit this
> one out.
Jim, you're to much of a scholar here, the world's not made by
congresses, those are for fun and recreation. The hard work is done by
meditation or sadhana. We paralyse them with compassion, look down on
them with lotusses in our hands and the crush them with arguments.
Nothing can stop us.
> I would be willing to serve on a study group or committee to determine
> whether such a jijad is actually feasible or desirable if we met at a
> vegan restaurant (that served Wild Turkey).

Keep the Turks out, they're not the jihadic type.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950