[Buddha-l] Victimized vegans?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri May 11 15:24:39 MDT 2007

On Thursday 10 May 2007 22:23, David S wrote:

>   I think the whole thing is an attempt by the Georgia court to show how
> looney vegetarians and vegans are;  which is false.

So is the Buddhist jihad on or off? I'm eager to become as indignant as
possible about something or other, but I want to make sure not to waste a
good snit of indignation on a bad cause. (In other words, I don't want
Georgia to become for Buddhist jihadis what Iraq has become for
neo-conservative Republicans.)

> There is also the famous "three-fold rule" by which monks and nuns
> graciously accept whatever is placed in the alms bowl, regardless if it is
> meat or not.

Watch out! The Shurangama sutra tells us that anyone who invokes the notorious
three-fold rule is dealing in forged sutras and is liable to be reborn in
hell. If that is true, maybe you and I can hang out together in hell for a
couple of aeons. If I may paraphrase Mark Twain (and my mother), hell sounds
like a hell of a lot more fun, not to mention a lot more educational, than
all those paradises and pure lands filled with earnestly wholesome
bodhisattvas whose logic cannot be distinguished from that of the Taliban.

--
Yours in non-self-righteous Dharma,
Sibling Grenade-launcher of Unbounded Compassion