[Buddha-l] Victimized vegans?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu May 10 19:04:11 MDT 2007

On Thursday 10 May 2007 18:02, jkirk wrote:

> Mahatma Gandhi wrestled with these issues. He decided to not eat eggs
> because it was robbing the hen, in his view, nor would he accept milk
> because it was robbing the calf.

That is exactly the reasoning that one finds in the two Buddhist sutras I
mentioned earlier. All dairy products, eggs and honey, as well as wool, are
off limits to a bodhisattva, because acquiring them is a form of theft. Meat
and leather products can be obtained only through taking life. Anyone who has
vowed to relieve the suffering of all sentient beings has to think seriously
about causing animals suffering by stealing from them or taking their lives.
So what's a bodhisattva to eat or wear?

> He took all these
> quiddities seriously, to the point that he resembled a nut-case to many of
> his contemporaries.

Surely to anyone who has taken on any task as quixotic as relieving the
suffering of all sentient beings is not going to be detained by
considerations of what less altruistic people think of her.

> Vegans enforce their warped views on children, unlike the Mahatma.

This may be an over-generalization. In fact, it is for sure. When I was a
vegan, I certainly did not require anyone else in my life to follow suit.
Other vegans I have known have also seen it as a special calling, sort of
like celibacy, not as a requirement for the entire human race. The problem
for me was that being a vegan requires so much vigilance that it becomes all
but impossible to eat socially, and I felt I had better avoid acquiring yet
one more anti-social tendency.

Perhaps I should have moved to Africa. An African friend of mine said that in
his country (Liberia) all people belong to social units than have strict meat
taboos. They can eat animal flesh, but everyone has animals whose flesh is
taboo. People are required to marry outside their social units. The result is
that most people end up observing both the man's and the woman's dietary
taboos, thereby eliminating all meat from the household diet. And Africans
(like many other peoples in the world) stop drinking milk when they are
weaned from their mothers and quickly become lactose intolerant, so they eat
no dairy products. Although not philosophically committed to veganism, many
Africans are de facto vegans.

> My sense
> of the ones that I have met is that they are fanatics and not educated in
> the history of dietary ideologies and restrictions, or lack of them.

Again, you  over-generalize. You've met me, and I'm sure you'll agree that I
do not have a fanatical bone in my body. I'll bet you know a lot more vegans
than you are aware of. Most of the ones I know are pretty unobtrusive about
it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am no longer a vegetarian, let alone a
vegan. But I consider it a moral weakness (akrasia) on my part and keep
resolving to get back to my former dietary habits. Philosophically, I fully
agree with veganism. Try as I might, I cannot find any flaws in the arguments
in favor of veganism as a moral position, so I can't manage to find it as
ridiculous as you do, Joanna. I just find it very difficult to live up to
this particular moral conviction in a society whose economy is based largely
on death and destruction. Although I am philosophically opposed to driving
cars and eating animal products, I do both (and feel diminished thereby).

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy