[Buddha-l] Buddhist scriptural literalism

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 26 01:53:53 MDT 2007

Stefan Detrez schreef:
> L.S.,
>
> Of course that should have been the Mahavamsa in my referral to the
> Sinhalese...
>
> Why I ask this question has to do with the growing tensions in
> Thailand between Buddhists and Muslims. It's not hard to imagine that
> some high-placed phra's will urge followers to hold on close to the
> Dhamma, perhaps finding some Canonical metaphors to be understood
> literally as to take a more extremist position against Muslims.
> 'Cutting off defilements, struggling to overcome unwholesome
> tendencies' can be taken literally against some people if you think
> about it.
>
> It seems to come quite naturally that people become more 'radical'
> whenever they or their beliefs become threatened. It's already
> happening with Christians in the US. Recently the Pope, that European
> living fossil of mythology, has reemphasized the 'christianity' of
> Europe. Apart from this being a genetic fallacy, he urges christianity
> to be more present in politcal debate. Do we witness similar stuff in
> Buddhist countries?
>
> And what about cosmogony? Are there Buddhists who follow the
> Brahminical tradition literally?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Stefan
Hi Stefan,
I see where you're coming from, but the idea that reading literally is
the prerogative of special groups seems rather far fetched to me. People
with limited intelligence read literally, because it's easy, just
replace your own thoughts with the text. Reading in context and with
cotext keeping an eye on different possible interpretations is
difficult, let alone irony. That's why so many people gamble on being
reborn in an open lotus or in a pornmovie with 72 virgins. Apart from
that it's seldom the case that people kill each other because of an idea
even less because of a text. People tend to kill each other for earthly
goods and power.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms