[Buddha-l] Speaking of statistics

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Mar 20 12:45:56 MDT 2007

A while back we had fun speculating about what percentage of the population of
the PRC would identify themselves as Buddhist. In the same vein of
recreational pseudo-demographics, I offer the following link:

http://www.uua.org/news/011205.html

For those lacking the time to read the whole article, it says that more than
16% of Unitarians identify themselves as Buddhist, compared to the 13% of
Unitarians who identify themselves as Christian. The survey of Unitarians
offered them twenty labels; respondents could apply as many as they fit their
beliefs and practices. when Unitarians were asked only one of the labels,
9.5% chose Christian, and a smaller percentage chose Buddhist as a unique
label.

I wonder what percentage of Buddhists, given a list of 20 labels and asked to
choose only one to describe themselves, would choose the Buddhist label. My
completely unscientific guess is that the percentage would be very low,
perhaps barely above zero.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy