[Buddha-l] Buddhism, the second in command

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Tue Mar 6 17:32:44 MST 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:

> On Monday 05 March 2007 15:45, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>
>> Counting Buddhists is on the whole about as productive as herding
>> cats, I tend to think.

If I were asked to declare a proclivity for some set of principles
that I have chosen (consciously, as it turns out) I would say that I
am probably a Buddhist, if anything.  I seek the refuge, and I try to
live up to a few of the precepts, and hope to add more precepts if I
become stronger. Other than that it has never occurred to me to ask
myself how many Buddhists there may be in any particular place nor
altogether.

I know a handful of people in New Mexico whom I believe are
Buddhists, and even more who claim to be Buddhists but whom I can't
imagine actually are.

So, I don't understand why this thread has lasted so long. In the
tradition to which I feel most closely aligned, one's main purpose is
to "adjust to circumstances". How many Buddhists can balance on the
head of a nation, state, or pin is not a circumstance I have ever
felt the need to adjust to.

On the other hand, I am having a good time. Am I doing something wrong?