[Buddha-l] Buddhism,the second largest religion in the world

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Mar 1 19:54:11 MST 2007

>I have no idea what assumptions are being made here, but the figures are close to those
>
> published in a United Nations source a few years ago.

My mistake. I just checked my files. The reference work I was referring
to turns out to be the Encyclopedia Brittanica yearbook of 1990. The
population figures reported there are, of course, smaller than the more
recent website I cited, but the percentages of the world's total
population represented by the various religions is about the same.