[Buddha-l] Re: Filtered Buddhism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jun 28 08:10:20 MDT 2007

Marie Louis von Franz is one of my favorite Jungians (and, apparently,
she was one of Jung's favorite Jungians, too). I have enjoyed reading
several of her books - and I was thrilled when I found that she had
written a whole book on the subject of Apuleius' "Metamorphoses" (aka
"The Golden Ass"). It's one of those books that has major sections of it
available online at Amazon - and I was intrigued (and also saddened) to
find her saying the following in the first chapter:

"We also have to know that Apuleius was in a situation which we still
can observe in modern Europeans. He was a member of a Roman family which
settled in North Africa and which in the second generation whose certain
typical defects that we now express by saying that those people have
"gone native." If people of white civilizations go to such countries,
where the primitive modes of life and behavior are better preserved
within their natural frame than with us, then the instinctual layer of
the personality, and the original primitive impulses, are reinforced. If
this is not observed and dealt with consciously, a split personality
develops. One can observe this for instance in British people who have
lived a long time in Africa. They have a wonderful way of not being
disturbed in their own habits, and even when in the bush they will
change for the evening into a smoking jacket and a decollete, and read
some newspapers, while surrounded by mosquitoes, snakes, and panthers.
But it does not help, for the "native mentality" gets into white people
who go to Africa, and if you visit such families, you find that they
have the style of the white man as far as their way of living is
concerned, but that little African traits come in negatively: the
crockery is chipped, the curtains are not clean, everything becomes a
bit sloppy."

The banality and off-handedness of such racism is simultaneously
fascinating and horrifying. But mostly I think it should be chastening.
It would be a big mistake to read this and respond by tisking tisking
and declaring how lucky we are that "all that" is safely behind us.

Here's the link at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Ass-Apuleius-Liberation-Foundation/dp/1570626111/ref=sr_1_1/102-7586623-6241760?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183038331&sr=8-1
. The above excerpt is from page 10.

Also, Apuleius' "ethnic" identification as "Roman" is far from certain.
He claimed to be of "mixed" descent: in his own words "half Numidian,
half Gaetulian". Contemporary authors often refer to him as a "Berber".

- Curt