[Buddha-l] The arrow: its removal and examination

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jun 27 12:28:06 MDT 2007

Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:

> Is Copi's the best intro to logic book? What are some other good logic  books?

A few tangential suggestions: Richard Popkin's masterful "The History Of
Scepticism: From Savonarola to Bayle", offers very little in terms of an
introduction to logic, per se, but it does something that is also
important - it explains the genealogy of scepticism in modern thought.
In doing so, Popkin over and and over again comes back to one of the
foundational arguments of scepticism: you can prove anything you like
with logic.

A modern summary of classical sceptical arguments, including
demonstrations of the unreliability of logic, is found in two books by
Julia Annas: "Modes of Scepticism" and "Outlines of Scepticism" - both
of which are directly based on the works of Sextus Empiricus. Of course,
most demonstrations of the unreliability of logic directly depend on
logic themselves!

Logic as we know it starts with Aristotle - and the little book
"Aristotle the Philosopher" by J.L. Ackrill is a great introduction to
logic in it's proper historical and philosophical context. Ackrill also
has a more technical book on Aristotle's logic ("Categories and De
Interpretatione") - but I haven't read that yet. W.D. Ross' book on
Aristotle's "Prior and Posterior Analytics" is probably also excellent
but I haven't gotten to that one, either.

I think it's worth emphasizing that "logic" is merely an attempt to
articulate the "rules" that we use when we reason well. As such "logic"
tends to merely describes reasoning as if it were an automated process
that could be carried out by a machine - which it is not.

- Curt