[Buddha-l] Re: Filtered Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 08:32:02 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/26/2007 8:26:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
twin_oceans at yahoo.com writes:

On the  other hand, I don't think that socializing and
meditating exclude each  other.  Healthy sanghas have a
balanced mix of both, in my  opinion.  Or at least
there is room to socialize.  Personally, I  have no
interest in beer and bowling, but may other sentient
beings be  free to enjoy them!

========
I agree. The sangha I attend now is exactly that. On another note, I live  in
Chicago. Many if not most of the successful sanghas here are peer lead with a
 tenuous connection to any lineage holder. None of these I have attended have
any  devotional aspects. My sangha doesn't even have a Buddha statue around.
Many  members of these sanghas regularly attend national retreats, for
example, those  held at Spirit Rock or IMS. Buddhist centers run by ethnic monks have
a problem  attracting regular members partly because of a language problem
and partly  because many monks are poor teachers not knowledgeable in the
suttas. In my  experience, this is the future of western Buddhism.

Jack