[Buddha-l] Is Buddhism a Finished System?

Chan Fu chanfu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:07:13 MDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Katherine Masis <twin_oceans at yahoo.com> wrote:
> David Kotschessa wrote:
>
> "Buddhism as a "system" cannot be developed
> further.  Nothing has been added to Buddhism since the
> Buddha died.  In most cases the teachings have been
> stripped down.  In other cases it has been pimped into
> oblivion with symbols and colors and festivals and
> chants.  But the system more or less remains in tact."
>
> Is Buddhism a Finished System?  I should hope not.
> Systems are dynamic, open-ended processes that
> interrelate with other systems.  Psychoanalysis grew
> into a system larger than Freud, Christianity grew
> into a system larger than Jesus of Nazareth, Buddhism
> grew into a system larger than Siddhartha Gautama.
> Hopefully these and other systems will continue to
> grow and develop.  Of course this is not a smooth
> ride--systems can get messy and unpredictable, but
> that is part of their open-endedness.
>
> Katherine Masis
> San José, Costa Rica

Psychoanalysis has proven to be junk.  Christianity
Islam, Hunduism, et al have been proven to be insanity.
Buddhism has been turned to metaphysics and woo-woo.
I would rather describe what you call "systems" as degenerate
equations, spiralling into demise with a nice "by by"
wave of the tail. Save the useful bits, feed the rest to the fish.

And do, please, stop blowing smoke up your own ass.
(That's buddhism as I understand it)