[Buddha-l] Filtered Buddhism

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:40:35 MDT 2007

Katherine wrote:

KM> But in  other countries people are stepping forward.
KM> Buddhologist Elías Capriles of Universidad de los
KM> Andes in Venezuela has written several books and given
KM> conferences in other Latin American countries, where
KM> he is well-received.  I feel optimistic about the slow
KM> but steady exposure to Eastern thought in this part of
KM> the world.

yes, I have some Capriles works on Dzogchen and they are good.
In recent years there are some interesting things but the problem is
when there is not a proportional growing of practice and knowledge.
I share some of your optimism (just a little)

KM> On the Internet, I've discovered that some Tibetan and
KM> Zen centers in Brazil, Mexico and Argentina have *not*
KM> had the "U.S. filter."  That is to say, they have had
KM> Asian teachers come directly to their countries to
KM> establish centers.  Others have had the "U.S. filter,"
KM> that is, U.S.-born teachers who have done the same.
KM> And then there are the centers whose Asian teachers
KM> have died off without local successors and then the
KM> sangha imported U.S.-born teachers who bring their own
KM> brand of "filtered dharma" into the mix.

your experience and these comments are interesting.
And now I wonder how any teacher can be puritan in places like Brazil.
That's sounds really impossible! :).

In my country I know a pair of northamerican Buddhist teachers but
they are normal people, not puritan. Well, I suppose the profile of
people who go to other country to teach Buddhism cannot be very
conservative at all, although I'm not sure.
That study would be interesting.

best regards,