[Buddha-l] The arrow: its removal and examination

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 10:00:59 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/24/2007 6:21:24 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
rhayes at unm.edu writes:

As one  who have spent the past thirty years pouring over works dealing with
Buddhist metaphysics and epistemology, I am inclined to agree with you. I
have to long argued that the dichotomy between study and practice is as
false
as it is popular.

====
If I remember correctly, the Buddha suggested that his teachings should be:
(1) the wording of the doctrine be studied and learned (pariyatti), (2) the
doctrine should be converted into a practice (patipatti) and (3) the teaching
should be penetrated or realized (pativedha). It would seem that this  implies
a difference between study and practice.

My definition of practice would include meditation,  part of the  8-Fold
Path. Others have different (and, to me, valid) definitions. My question  of this
list is what is your definition of Buddhist practice and  do you have a daily
meditation practice?

Jack