[Buddha-l] The arrow: its removal and examination

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jun 25 13:15:21 MDT 2007

On Monday 25 June 2007 10:34, Tom Head wrote:

> Leave it to a Mississippian to propose what is in effect a
> segregationist argument, but doesn't this just go towards the view that
> if we distinguish between English and American and world history and
> literature, then we should do the same with philosophy?

More and more, that is becoming the norm. The American Philosophical
Association (founded by Benjamin Franklin) routinely has sections in Asian
philosophy and even in Buddhist philosophy. The Philosophical Gourmet (a web
site that, among other services, gives advice to undergraduates seeking
graduate programs in philosophy), list and ranks programs in Indian and
Chinese philosophy. Despite all those promising signs, Asian philosophy is
usually see as a "add-on" feature; it's what a student can do after she has
read all the Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Locke, Hume, Kant, Hegel, Husserl,
Heidegger, and Derrida that a young mind can hold.

> I have never
> understood why an M.A. in Philosophy implies that you have studied
> European thinkers but not Asian or African thinkers.

Thirty years ago, Archie Bahm of University of New Mexico, argued that no one
could be considered educated in philosophy unless they knew at least
something about Indian and Chinese philosophy. He also argued that both
European and Indian philosophy and Chinese philosophy could all be improved
by each tradition taking seriously the other two. And in talking about
European philosophy, he found it essential to take into account Jewish and
Muslim thinkers as well as Christians. When I was a young pup, I was quite
enamored with Bahm's vision of philosophy and was pleased to see that his
ideas had found a receptive audience among his colleagues at his home
university (which is now my academic home). Alas, as the Eagles pointed
out, "things in this world change very slowly if they ever change at all,"
and the University of New Mexico's philosophy program is still rather rare in
North America. If we want our students to find academic jobs, it is claimed
by most of my colleagues, we had better suit their credentials to the
actually existing academic market rather than trying to re-educate the entire
world at once.

> It seems almost comically provincial.

At the risk of irritating some of my esteemed colleagues, I really do think
that philosophers, on the whole, are among the most provincial humanists in
the academic realm. One of my dear friends from undergraduate days was for
years chair of a philosophy department that refused to accept the idea that
there were any philosophers in Africa. My friend is an African, but he is
taken seriously as a philosopher because he did his doctorate on Heidegger.
See, an African who studies a German is almost as good as white. But an
African who studies Africans is considered hopelessly parochial, especially
in the world of philosophy in which it is rare for French philosophers and
German philosophers to acknowledge one another's existence.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the world of academic philosophers to show
signs of any love of wisdom.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy