[Buddha-l] Buddhacrats [was: the 22 vows]

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Jun 23 11:20:14 MDT 2007

On Friday 22 June 2007 13:52, Tom Head wrote:

> Didn't the Truman civil rights platform of '48 also contribute to
> this, though?  It delivered my beloved home state of Mississippi to
> Strom friggin' Thurmond, after all.

You're right, Tom. Strom Thurmond, running for president in 1948 as a States
Rights Democrat (informally called Dixiecrat) carried Louisiana, Mississippi,
Alabama and South Carolina, plus he somehow picked up one electoral vote in
eastern Tennessee that year. The State's Rights Democrats got 7.5% of the
electoral vote, compared to 35.5% for the Republican Dewey and 57% for the
Democrat Truman. George Wallace, also running essentially as a racist, did a
bit better in 1968, carrying Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama,
Georgia and western North Carolina, thereby getting 8.4% of the electoral
vote. Interestingly enough, Wallace got almost 13% of the popular vote, while
Thurmond only got 2.5% of the popular vote in 1948. I suppose part of the
difference is due to the enormous success of the civil rights movement in the
early 1960s, which created a much larger backlash in 1968 than the backlash
to Truman in the 1940s. (I hesitate to use such logic in a public forum; it
reminds me too much of Dick Cheney's reasoning that the dramatic rise of
suicide bombers in Iraq is a sign of the enormous success of American
policies there.)

A theme running throughout Joshu-roshi's talks at the seminar on Buddhism this
month was an advocacy of what he calls Mahayana Democracy. What he apparently
has in mind is a democracy in which people vote for what is good for all
sentient beings, rather than voting only for what they think is good for
themselves--a democracy based on love and compassion rather than on greed,
hatred, delusion and fear. (Good luck getting Americans to go for THAT! My
guess is that the Buddhacrat Party will not get many votes from the National
Rifle Association or from the xenophobic pseudo-patriots who listen to Lou
Dobbs' fulminations against illegal aliens.)

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy