[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 20 18:22:59 MDT 2007

Brad,

Joanna has beaten me to mentioning Rahula Walpola as a post-WWII
exponent of rationalist Buddhism. But, as Richard points out, he is
exceptional these days (of course he *was* a bhikkhu and he *has*
passed away). The most influential Buddhism-as-rationalism stuff, at
least in my mind, was 19th century. Tweed's book would be the first
place to look.

One continuing group that treats Buddhism as (an unusual sort of)
rationalism is the Kyoto School. I'd pick up something by James Heisig
before trying to read any of the actual philosophers, themselves. They
are certainly influential in the Buddhist-Christian dialogue area.

On another front, there is not rational but psychological reductionism
present in several strands within the field of Buddhism and psychology.
This goes back at least to _Zen and Psychoanalysis_ by Fromm, Suzuki,
and DeMartino. But it continues today in the emphases of people like
Jack Kornfield and the whole Insight Meditation Society gang, as well
as in some of the more austere and psychological Zen folks. Trouble is,
it's tough to call their work influential "scholarship," at least
within Buddhist studies.

One quick source for the Carus-Suzuki religion of science connection is
Martin Verhoeven's chapter on it in _The Faces of Buddhism in America_,
edited by Charles Prebish and Kenneth Tanaka. I know I've read another
chapter on the same subject, (maybe by Robert Ellwood?) but can't
remember where.

Good luck on the project,

Franz