[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 19:54:33 MDT 2007

I think an important point is that one should not merely "inherit" the
notions of
karma and rebirth, taking them for granted, but to question and
counter-question
regarding them so that one understands them in a deepening way.

Another way of approaching the two important teachings is given in the four
solaces
found at the end of the Kesaputtiya Sutta (better known as Kalama Sutta) (A
3.65).
This very important section of the Sutta is often overshadowed by taking the
10
points as a sort carte blanche for anything-goes vague Buddhism.

The 4 solaces have sometimes been said to be a precursor of sorts to
Pascal's
wager.

May you shine like Indra's jewels in the inner light of others.

Piya

On 6/18/07, Vicente Gonzalez <vicen.bcn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Christopher wrote:
>
> CF> If Buddhism could be protected in this way, then "Buddhism" sans
> rebirth
> CF> & karma might have a hard job passing the test.
>
> at least I understand it is the refuge in the Triple Gem which define
> a Buddhist. Rebirth and karma can be a discussion about the right view
> on Dharma.
>

> best regards,

The Minding Centre
Singapore 650644