[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Sat Jun 16 10:14:58 MDT 2007

Vicente Gonzalez wrote:

> this thread appears in right moment.
>
> Are there some texts with rules for Tantrics to avoid black magic?.

Vicente

Generally speaking anyone practicing Buddhist Tantra is supposed to be following
the Bodhisattva precepts; following the Pratimoksha vows of a monk, novice,
layman -
or their equivalents for women; as well as keeping at least the most important
of the
innumerable Vajrayana precepts.

For detailed explanations of all these sets of precepts (and the relationship
between them) according to the Tibetan tradition see:

1) "Perfect Conduct: The Absolute Certainty of the Three Vows " by Ngari Panchen
& Dudjom Rinpoche [ISBN 0861710835]

2) "The Treasury of Knowledge, Book 5: Buddhist Ethics" by
Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Taye [ISBN 1559390662]

3) "A Clear Differentiation of the Three Codes: Essential Differentiations Among
the Individual Liberation, Great Vehicle, and Tantric Systems" (Suny Series in
Buddhist Studies) by Sakya Pandita Kunga Gyaltshen [ISBN 0791452867]

4) "Tantric Ethics: An Explanation of the Precepts for Buddhist Vajrayana
Practice" by Tsongkhapa [ISBN: 0861712900]

These are translations of authoritative texts on the subject for respectively
the 1) Nyingma, 2) Kagyu, 3) Sakya and 4) Gelug schools of Tibetan Buddhism.

- Chris