[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 16 09:28:06 MDT 2007

Ven. Dhammanando,

>>One is historical. The rule is applied only to nuns in the
>>Suttavibhanga. Only later in the Khandhakas is it extended in a
>>minor degree to monks. Fears of witchcraft ?
>
>I can't imagine why you would think the two rules for bhikkhus to
>have originated later than the ones for bhikkhuniis.

Well, this is not controversial in European scholarship. The
Khandhakas are generally thought to be a later creation than the two
Vibhangas. For that matter, the section for  nuns is considered later
than that  for monks.

Actually, I don't see how the order could be disputed. Surely, the
Khandhakas presuppose the twofold Vibhanga in some form ?

What will be disputed is whether this evolution took place in the
lifetime of the Buddha and shortly after - I presume this is your
view ? Or, a couple of centuries later. Or, later still. One meets
all these views.

>Do you think the Mahaasiila section of the Brahmajaala Sutta is also
>late? If not, then surely it's only to be expected that there would
>be Vinaya rules covering these things.

The date of the Mahaasiilas is not really relevant, since they
contain no rule about learning or studying low arts.

>>Another is the definition of 'low arts'. This is precisely defined
>>as any secular (baahiraka) knowledge which does not conduce to the
>>goal (atthasa.mhita). So restricting the explanation to 'magic'
>>would give a rationalist (effectively Protestant Buddhist :-))
>>tinge to it.
>
>I agree. I didn't intend to impose any such restriction, but
>mentioned magical spells merely as an example.

OK

>>c) it is not an offence to learn or teach a spell for protection.
>
>>So if a monk attends a course in sociology or astronomy, he commits
>>an offence each time he memorizes or teaches a phrase ?
>
>Not if the monk adheres to Buddhaghosa's commentary to the rule, for
>after listing a few examples
>(hatthi-assa-ratha-dhanu-tharu-sippa-aathabba.na-khilana-vasiikara.na-sosaapana-mantaa-gadappayog-aadibheda.m)
>the commentator then adds a qualification limiting the rule to cases
>where the low art is aimed at harming others (paruupaghaataka.m). So
>attending a course in military strategy at Westpoint is out, but I
>suppose sociology and astronomy would be kappiya.

So for the author of the Vinaya commentary, studying magic or
astrology would not be a breach of the rule, if not causing harm to
others ? The examples given are five kinds of military art, four
kinds of mantra and the use of potions, etc.

I think a Protestant Buddhist would say that the original intent of
the rule has been subverted by the later commentary. For myself, I
would think that the commentator has precisely caught the spirit of
the original.

Lance