[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

Dhammanando Bhikkhu dhammanando at csloxinfo.com
Fri Jun 15 19:35:26 MDT 2007

Lance:

> Have you a source for the first prohibition ? The second and third are
> familiar enough, but I wonder if 1) is not a modern extension ?

In fact the relevant rules are all in the Vinaya Pi.taka. In the
bhikkhunii paa.timokkha there are two rules, one prohibiting the
learning of low arts and the other the teaching of them (Vin.iv.305).
These actions are both paacittiya offences.

The corresponding rules for bhikkhus are given in the Cullavagga
(Vin.ii.139), but for us the offence is only a dukka.ta.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando