[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

Dhammanando Bhikkhu dhammanando at csloxinfo.com
Thu Jun 14 17:40:37 MDT 2007

Joy:

> The Buddha apparently said:
>
> "I forbid you, O bhikkhus,
> to employ any spells or supplications,
> for they are useless,
> since the law of karma governs all things.
> He who attempts to perform miracles
> has not understood the doctrine of the Tathagata."
>
> And a lot of cheering and shouting of Hurray could be heard from the
> cloud of protestant Buddhist scholars above.

Though the quote is not from a Buddhist text, but rather is Paul
Carus's paraphrase of a passage from _The Life or Legend of Gotama_ by
the very un-Protestant Bishop Bigandet, Vicar Apostolic of Ava and
Pegu.

> Can anyone tell me in what source, when and why "the Buddha" (had to)
> forbid the use of magic?

He didn't. What is forbidden is:

1. The study of "low arts" (tiracchaanavijjaa) by bhikkhus and
bhikkhuniis. This would include things like spells and charms.
2. The exercise of tiracchaanavijjaa as a means of livelihood by
bhikkhus and bhikkhuniis.
3. The displaying of supernormal powers acquired through jhaana to an
anupasampanna (i.e. non-bhikkhus and non-bhikkhuniis)

Though none of these restrictions apply to householders.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando