Re: [Buddha-l] Reïncarnation is a memoryproblem

Sherab Lodro mahasukha at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 13 09:14:11 MDT 2007

> It seems to me that there are two reasonable questions that can be asked:
> (1) Why is there a widespread belief in rebirth/reincarnation?
> (2) Why do some people claim to have detailed knowledge of "past-lives"?
> - Curt

Hello All,

    Speaking to the "widespread belief in rebirth/reincarnation" point, and
adding what may be a piece of interesting information.

    While working in a Hamlet in the Canadian Arctic called Igloolik. A town
that had not, on principle, allowed Television to be introduced and that was
pretty much divided (perhaps 800 people in total in the early eighties)
between being Catholics and Anglicans.  In which *everyone* went to church,
many of them wearing vestry gowns, many of them going to Church seven times
on a Sunday (Matins through Vespers etc.), there existed a belief in
reincarnation.  This was told to me by an lay Catholic missionary women
named Georgette.  "They" she said, "have camp leaders."  When a child is
born after a camp leader passed upon observation by the elders of the
community they may say something like " Oh that boy is Willi Tapetai"  Now
there are no bricks and mortar to be reclaimed by the young Willi no thrones
to sit on or brocades to wear but this extremely harsh environment requires
special survival skills and apparently by about the age of eight or nine if
young Willi proves to be living up to expectations that is shown through the
display various knowledges (he may also receive special tutoring, not sure
about that) he becomes a camp leader as he was apparently before and is
charged with the responsibility for choosing the campsites and general
leadership chores and the older folks abide by his choices. Now this is
serious business it may even mean life and death.  All that devout
Christianity had not removed that from the minds of the people, which was at
least somewhat to Georgette's chagrin.

Sherab